Saturday, July 2, 2011

Time to travel....part one


I have returned from an amazing trip visiting Indonesia. Many people cringe at the time it takes to get there, but once there, it is all worthwhile. As Americans, we have learned the hustle and bustle of everyday life. My hustle slowed down once I reached Cairns, Australia. This was my first stop before I headed off to Papua Indonesia.

After checking into the Il Palazzo, I ventured out to the waterfront area. They were hosting the first ever Cairns Triathelon, so the Esplanade area was bustling with people. I took this time to enjoy the great weather, shops and check out the local menus of the restaurants along the way.

No plans, no time frames, no calls to make, just time to enjoy life in the moment. I came upon a small art studio selling consignment work of local artists. The woman behind the desk was painting on a small canvas. I was amazed how easy she made it look just by using watercolor pencils, a little water and wahla! I complimented her on how easy she made it look. She explained art is not what you think people will like, but rather a feeling from inside. She handed me a small 2 x 3 canvas a few pencils and asked me to try. I made my attempt and realized I can change it with the swipe of a brush. I was happy with my personal rendition, knowing in another brush swipe it can be different. Funny how life reflects the end of a brush.

Fasta Pasta earned kudos from the locals, so I enjoyed a late lunch early dinner during my city exploration. I grabbed a bottle of wine, a block of cheese, crackers and an apple for a late night snack. Amazing what you can purchase at Woolworths. I dropped it off at the hotel and headed to the Esplanade to watch the sunset. And oh what a beautiful sunset it was.

The next morning, I awoke to the sound of the screaming lorakeets outside the hotel. I ventured out to the Esplanade to the same spot I watched the sunset, but only to watch the sunrise. The couple behind me was meditating to the sounds of flute music. I am in the moment, in a spectacular element, under the most breathtaking sunrise I have ever seen. I look to the sky and am grateful for life and what it has given me. The man above works wonders.

Packed and ready to board the plane to Timika, Papua. Travel may be a little different, I tell my self. That thought could not have been more accurate.

No comments: