Saturday, July 2, 2011

Part 2...Arriving in Timika




When you board a full size plane with only 15 people on board, it makes you wonder where you may be going. I arrived on the smallest airstrip I have ever seen outside of St. Thomas. The terminal area was the size of a CVS. We disembark the plane, on the tarmack and head into the terminal. I am in line with other Freeport, Redpath and contract workers. Custom agent checks my passport, guy at the small counter stamps my passport(with great fierceness) and moves me to the customs inspection. Everyone has a specific job they take pride in. I am laughing inside at the casualness of the customs agents. The xray machine is in the corner, but not plugged in. On the days it does function, they run your bags, but no one watches the xray machine. Comforting.

I gather my belongings, get my visitor pass and head out to find John. He is on the other side of the "security area" explaining to the guard he is waiting for me. The guy was not going to let him through, but security turned their back and John walked right past him. Now, I am laughing out loud. I use the term "security" in a humorous sense.

Bags in hand, off to the Rimba we go. Game plan is to spend one night in the Rimba, head back to the airport bright and early to board the helicopter to Tembagapura.

The Rimba is centered around tropical gardens, palm trees, wood carvings, etc. Flying around the area are the Blue Emperor butterflies. Papua is the only place you will find them. They are a magnificent neon blue color with black trim along the wings. They are everywhere. Grasshoppers are something you would see in a Jurassic Park movie...I think it was a grasshopper! The hotel interior is decorated with local wooden sculptures from the Papuan tribes. The rooms are spacious and cozy. All the bathrooms are equipt with a phone next to the toilet...still trying to figure this one out.

Hot shower and off to get some dinner. Baramundi wrapped in bacon, coconut rice in a banana leaf and veggies. Amazing! Morning will be here before we know it, so off to bed.

Off to the airport to catch the helicopter. After many hours, clouds have decided to alter the plan of us heading to Tembag. Back to the Rimba we go. Pouring rain, no luck of enjoying the pool. Try again tomorrow.

Tomorrow arrives and so does our luck. We board the chopper and off we go. In speaking with people who do this regularly, you need to schedule your plans two days out for chopper delay. I completely understand why people get antsy living here. This is only the beginning of the transportation frustration.

The view from the chopper is amazing. Waterfalls flow freely out of the sides of the lush green vegetation. Small huts spot the landscape, tribal life at its best. Tembagapura is within visual site. Time to land....another day of Papuan adventure awaits.

No comments: